Friday, May 10, 2013

Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow Quad "Addictive": Swatches + Review



I mentioned in my previous eye shadow review that I would do a proper post on the new Revlon ColorStay quad that I own in "Addictive" so you all can compare and contrast; new to old; bad to good. I know I only own one of these quads so to say the whole line is crap would seem a little facetious however I have trusted make up friends who say others in this range are utter poo as well.



What first attracted me to this palette was, apart from my previously wonderful experience with the old ColorStay eye shadow formula, was the color assortment in "Addictive". I can't deny how absolutely lovely these shadows look and how perfect they would be for an everyday look. Would be... if the formula wasn't absolute crap. Crud. Feces. The worst. 
Seriously.
THE WORST I have experienced, probably since the Sonia Kashuk "Simmering Sands" palette fiasco.



The two photos above are very, VERY heavily done swatches; the first after one application and the second with two layers. When I say I swatched these you have to know that I rubbed those stupid eye shadow pans ferociously for at least 20 seconds before swiping across the back of my hand. 
Also, it must be noted that not all shadows in this quad were created equal. The top two shimmer shades are extremely dry, chalky, and not even slightly pigmented. The bottom two shadows, a satin and matte shade, are actually really soft and quite nice to work with apart from the fact that their pigmentation is also extremely lacking; they can, however, be built up decently and the taupe-y bronze satin shadow is probably the only reason I don't throw this quad straight into the dumpster.

When all is said and done though I would save your $8 and get a couple tubs of Ben & Jerry's instead. These are just far too hard to work with (especially when waking up in the morning; who wants to wake up to a hassle??) and even if you do get them on your lids the color wipes away so easily that I can't imagine these lasting more than an hour or two.

Have you tried any of the 'new' (they were reformulated and released about a year and a half ago) Revlon ColorStay eye shadow quads?
Love 'em? Hate 'em?
What's your favorite drugstore brand of eye shadows?
Do share!!

xoxo - Cassie 

13 comments:

  1. That's a shame because it looks like it could be the perfect multitasking palette, good for brows and eyes both. That's definitely something that I would have been tempted to pick up so thank you so much for this review! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? Really such a shame :( I'm glad I could steer you from this product though and save you some money!!

      Delete
  2. Ah :/ The pigmentation is atrocious. Actually, almost non existing would be a better description. How unfortunate. I'd rather get some BJ's Chunky Monkey, lol. I tried the Revlon eyeshadow quads and singles yeeaaars ago and was so disappointed that I never bought a Revlon eyeshadow again. So I haven't tried the new formula but sadly my past experiences have kinda put me off from their eyeshadows. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atrocious is definitely accurate Coco hahaha. And yes chunky monkey is a winner though phish food will always be my favorite <3 It sounds like the newer formulas haven't changed much from what you remember so yeah I'd stay away from them :/

      Delete
  3. That's funny because I told my mom to get one of the old revlon eye shadow sets, before they converted to this and I think she's hit pan on 2 of the shades and loves them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad she got the old version!! LIke said in my other post on the Blushed Wines palette the old formula is really fantastic :)

      Delete
  4. It's such a shame that the pigmentation is so lacking on these as they could have had so much potential! The feeling of dragging an eyeshadow multiple times over your eyelids just to build up some colour makes me cringe :(

    I don't have very many drugstore shadows as I always prefer the quality of the higher end ones, but MUA's Heaven and Earth palette is pretty good for the price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is cringeworthy Amy!! And yes, I have a couple of MUA palettes and they are fantastic! :D

      Delete
  5. Does that mean Ben & Jerry's is only $4 where you live? :( It's like $20 here or something, LOL. So sad. But then again, this quad is probably $21.95 or something.

    I actually have this and didn't think immediately the pigmentation was total crap, except the lighter shades which I wouldn't touch even if they were pigmented anyway :p I like the 3rd shade, I found it to be a pretty good matte if built up? I wanted to love the taupey shade but that's the one I found to be terribly lacking in pigmentation - maybe also because it's too light for my colouring to show up well.

    Have you tried the Revlon CustomEyes Shadow & Liner palette in Naturally Glamorous? That's probably my favourite Revlon eyeshadow palette and I find all the shades to be really nice texture and pigmentation. Sorry to hear this quad disappointed you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL omg, I just realised I have ATTITUDE not Addictive. I was wondering why the 3rd shade wasn't the matte brown I was seeing in front of my eyes (I'm comparing the palette I have now to your pics). Never mind me :p

      Delete
    2. OH MY GOSH Ben & Jerry's is $20 in Australia?????? Poor thing; expensive makeup AND ice cream :( Yeah it's a little under $4 here in the states lol!! And I definitely laughed at your second comment correcting yourself... with the amount of makeup we have it's easy to confuse and mix up names (if we can ever remember them haha). Either way no I haven't tried the CustomEyes before!! I'll check them out the next time I'm at the drugstore so thank you for the recommendation... I always value and trust your opinion :D

      Delete
  6. i have heard nothing but bad reviews on their eyeshadows.. its a shame because their lip products are AHHHHMAZING!

    My Blog: Caught in a Daze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is very sad because I definitely agree with you; their lip products are FANTASTIC!!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!! I read and appreciate each one :)
However, please refrain from leaving "follow for follow" comments, contest links, etc. as I will delete them. If you want me to check out your blog though just leave a link and I'd be happy to take a look!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...